Steven W. Seymour is an accomplished litigator with an emphasis on labor and employment law. As an expert in civil litigation, Steve focuses primarily on cases involving disability, and sexual discrimination, wrongful termination, and non-compete agreements. Municipal judge for the City of Mosier, he formerly served as past Chairman of the Litigation Section of the Oregon State Bar. He is licensed to practice law in Oregon and Washington.
Over the past decade, Steve has argued and won a case before the US Supreme Court that received national media attention, including a feature article in Business Week. A trusted resource, Steve provides background information for radio and television stories and has been invited to lecture at venues including the Willamette University Law School, the American Bar Association Convention, and the National Monument Builders Association Convention. Steve has been invited to lecture at the University of Passau School of International Law in Passau, Germany during fall term, 2009. He will lecture on "Trial as Theater, The American Jury System."
Steve actively builds community by serving on the United Methodist Church Camp and Retreat Ministries Board, which owns and operates six church camps and retreat centers in Oregon and Idaho. His committee coordinates the health, safety, and operational infrastructure of these facilities to ensure opportunities for families, adults, and children to grow in wisdom and faith. As the Adjutant for Mosier Post 55 of the American Legion, he serves veterans of the US military and promotes patriotism in the community.
Steve also continues his lifelong commitment to the Boy Scouts of America, a program that builds leaders and teaches life skills.
Areas of Practice
- Employment Law Litigation
- Trial and Appellate Practice
- Business & Corporation Governance
- Trust & Estate Disputes
Professional Affiliations, present
- American Bar Association (Member, Litigation Section, Labor & Employment Section)
- City of Mosier (Municipal Judge)
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association (former Chairman, Litigation Section)
- United States Supreme Court
- United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- Washington State Bar Association
Professional Affiliations, past
- Deputy District Attorney for Multnomah County (1975–80)
- Oregon Legislative Assembly (Legislative Counsel Law Clerk, 1975 Session)
- U.S. Army Reserve (Lieutenant Colonel, Ret.)
- Willamette University School of Law (J.D., 1975)
- University of Tubingen, West Germany (Graduate Studies, 1970–71)
- University of Iowa (B.A., 1968)
Admitted to Oregon State Bar (1975)
Admitted to Washington State Bar (2002)