Stephen E. Kantor is an accomplished business, estate, and trust attorney and educator with over 30 years of experience in the planning and administration of complex issues. Taking an in-depth, creative approach to problem solving, Steve establishes strong relationships with all of his clients, from young families with children to corporate business executives.
As a specialist in the field of estate planning, he has been interviewed on matters regarding tax laws, charitable planning, trusts, business succession, and estate administration for Money, The Oregonian, The Daily Journal of Commerce, The Business Journal and a local television station. He also assists Fortune 500 executive groups in estate planning matters.
A prolific speaker and educator, Steve lectures at numerous seminars for the Oregon State Bar, the Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants, Estate Planning Councils, and the Northwest Tax Institute, and writes treatises on estates and taxation, family planning, and estate and trust administration. The University of Oregon, the National Legal Assistants Convention, and various trade and professional groups have also engaged Steve as a speaker.
Steve is proud to make a difference in the Portland community. He recently completed his tenure as chair of the Board of Trustees of the Ronald McDonald House Charities. The Oregon Jewish Community Foundation was only a community dream until Steve co-founded the organization, became its president, and helped raise net assets in excess of $30 million. He also served as the President of the Jewish Family Service and worked to develop a program providing Russian immigrants with shelter, food, furnishings, and jobs. As a past trustee of the Nature Conservancy, he collaborated with individuals and businesses to create endowments and set aside preserves protecting natural habitats throughout Oregon. Last, as a member of the B’nai Brith Camp board, he is helping children afford to enrich their lives through a fulfilling summer camp experience.
- American Bar Association
- American Society of Certified Public Accountants
- Estate Planning Council of Portland
- Fellow, American College of Trust & Estate Counsel (ACTEC)
- Financial Planning Association
- Multnomah County Bar Association
- Oregon Society of Certified Public Accountants (Member, CPE Strategic Interest Team; former Vice Chair, Estate & Gift Tax Committee; former Chair, Joint Oregon State Bar Committee)
- Oregon State Bar Association (Member; former Chair, Section on Estate Planning & Probate; former Chair, Title Insurance Subcommittee of Real Property Section; former Chair, CPA Joint Committee)
- Northwestern School of Law (J.D. 1974)
(Law Review; Moot Court Competition)
- University of Oregon
(B.S., 1971, Accounting & Business Statistics)
- Admitted to Oregon State Bar (1974)
- Certified Public Accountant (1976)